HPS (short for hydroxypropyl starch ether) enables cement- and gypsum-based products with distinctive qualities. Similar to Hydroxypropyl Methylcellulose(HPMC) in the chemical structure, it can not only provide functions similar to cellulose, but also have very good compatibility with other additives in building. starch ether has a very small amount used in mortar products, and a very low addition amount enables to achieve very good quality effects.
starch ether has many significant properties, including thickening in solution, good solubility in water and stability in suspensions or glue solutions, protecting colloids, film-forming behavior, water retention, bonding property, non-toxic, odorless, biocompatibility and thixotropy. In addition, starch ether also has a great variety of distinctive properties, like surface activity, foam stability and ionic activity. Due to these properties, starch ether is widely used in building materials, detergents, textile, papermaking, food, cosmetics, coatings and many other industries.
I Application Characteristics
- Very good rapid thickening ability, with certain water-retaining behavior;
- Low in the amount used, with an extremely low addition amount to achieve very high effects;
- Increase the slide resistance of materials;
- Improve the operating performance of material, easy to operate;
- Extend the opening hours of material.
II Addition Amount of Hydroxypropyl Methylcellulose(HPMC) for Applications in the Following Materials
- All varieties ( cement-, gypsum- based) of interior and exterior wall putty powder;
- All varieties (tile, stone) of binders;
- All varieties of facing mortar and plastering mortar, especially for external wall thermal insulation mortar.
The recommended amount of HPS added is 0.05%—0.15%. Based on the original formula, reduce the amount of Hydroxypropyl Methylcellulose(HPMC) by about 0.1%-0.2%. That is, 20%-30% of Hydroxypropyl Methylcellulose(HPMC) in the original formula is replaced by starch ether, which enables the workability increased, and meanwhile the production cost decreased by 10-20%.
Hydroxypropyl Methylcellulose(HPMC) can be used as an admixture of cement- and gypsum-based products, having good compatibility with other admixtures in building. Its use in conjunction with Hydroxypropyl Methylcellulose(HPMC) enables to reduce the amount of Hydroxypropyl Methylcellulose(HPMC) (usually an amount of 0.05% starch ether added can reduce by about 20%-30% of HPMC’s amount), play thickening roles, promote the inner structure, possess better crack resistance and improve workability. Adding starch ether helps significantly reduce the amount of Hydroxypropyl Methylcellulose(HPMC).